Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Week #5 Eureka Moment

This past week I had a Eureka moment while watching a remake of Grey Gardens on HBO starring Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore. The original was a documentary made in the 70's and depicted the everyday lives of the Edith Beales, a reclusive socialite mother and daughter (of the same name) who lived at Grey Gardens, a decrepit mansion in the wealthy neighborhood of the Hamtpons in New York. The movie has become iconic over the years, a real part of American culture. Edith "Big Edie" Ewing Bouvier Beale and her daughter Edith "Little Edie" Bouvier Beale were the aunt and first cousin of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis which is why the story was so tragic but yet so intriguing. The mother was so controlling and even named her daughter after herself. I know this happens occassionally and it made me wonder if surnames are used when daughthers are named after their mother (e.g., Jr.). As the credits rolled by at the end of the movie, there it was the daughter's name was Edith Bouvier Beale Jr. - I couldn't believe it. It was the first time I had ever seen that in my life - and I only noticed because of this class. My question to you bloggers is: Would you ever consider naming your daughter after yourself (females) or her mother (males)? And if so, would you attach JR to their name?

No comments:

Post a Comment