Saturday, June 6, 2009

Neeru – Eureka #3 – I’m a hypocrite

I’m sitting here thinking and thinking about what my Eureka moment should be this week. My first thought was the sexual portrayal of woman on a couple VH1 dating shows but I saw that someone has already touched base on that. Then it just hit me out of nowhere! Here I feel like a bit of a hypocrite. I am a landlord and recently evicted my tenant for not paying her rent. Whenever there is a new tenant moving in we must apply for a renter’s certificate of occupancy from the Township. The Township comes out and walks throughout the unit to ensure it is safe, clean, and up to code for the future tenants. Lately with this unit the Township has been nit picking on the smallest cosmetic things which we feel is unnecessary to be fixed or changed. I have no problem fixing things that are unsafe or not up to code. My husband never has any luck with these guys and walks away with a 3 page list of items that need to be taken care of prior to the new tenant occupying the unit. This time we decided that I would meet the Township for the inspection instead of my husband because I am an attractive woman and may be let off easier. Well I took off Monday and met Kenny from the Township at the property for the inspection and it went extremely well. Kenny let me off the hook so to speak with many cosmetic repairs. Maybe it was luck that he was allot nicer than the other inspectors that have come out in previous years or maybe it was the fact that I was a pretty girl in a dress? I know it wasn’t the right thing to do, especially after this weeks reading assignment!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed with your honesty. I have tried to “expose” myself in this class, and you know when you do that, you run the risk of being judged. However, like you, I am willing to take that risk in hopes of becoming a better person. This is a real touchy subject regarding gender and if this post doesn’t create a lot of discussion in this class, then nothing will. This has been a BIG struggle with my children (who are multi-racial females) as I feel that you should take advantage of “benefits” afforded you as a result of past wrongs whether you have actually experienced those wrongs or not. This was the basis for programs like affirmative action, which I believe can have a positive impact on our society (I am probably going to get killed for this belief). My daughters want to be judged on who they are and not what sex or race they are. My point is that if you do have an “edge”, take advantage of it, and you use that opportunity to make this world a better place – then it’s all good. I guess the real question is involves the ethics around doing this when it is totally self serving and how that may reinforce the sexist portrayals and perceptions of women. Personally, I feel that if we men are that easy to manipulate, then the problem is actually with us not you.

    ReplyDelete