Friday, June 26, 2009

Sarah P - Final Blog

So this week I was shopping in Toys R Us when I noticed something very interesting. There is a video game line for Nintendo DS that is targeted for little girls-its called Imagine That or Imagine Me. Girls get to play having a life of certain professions- and which ones do you think they had for girls?? School teacher, baby sitter, FASHION DESIGNER, and family doctor. Ok I'll give the doctor one kudos but I'm sure it's not the top seller. Lets instead encourage little girls to be caregivers or to use their talents designing clothes. Forget the millions of other professions women have-corporate CEO, government representatives, labor worker, etc etc. Those ones are no fun so we shouldn't design a video game to encourage those kinds of professions. This really ticked me off and I think it's sad how we limit little girls in every possible way. I hope someone out there has seen other professions offered by this game so I can sleep at night!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah - this was one of the most disturbing things I found in my final research project on Gendered Advertising. Not only are little girls being pigeon-holed into very old stereotypes, but grown successful women are being marketed to like their only role is homemaker or wife, just like back in the 1950's! One thing is obvious, none of the executives or people in charge of these products have taking this course with Prof. M - and they need to!

    ReplyDelete