Friday, June 26, 2009

Chris P - Week 6

My Eureka moment of the week happened today while at work go figure! Ha Well we were having a department party for a girl who is going to be getting married on Friday and today was her last day until July 6th. Well I offered to make a cake and bring it in, so I did that. Well boy did that get a lot of attention. Comments ranged from my girlfriend had to have made it or my mom made it. Everyone was so shocked I had made a cake. I couldn’t understand why it was such a big deal. But then I looked back at this class and see that people always perceive women do the baking and men can’t cook. I actually was kind of aggravated that is was such a big deal. One women from another department said men are usually the ones who bring in the chips or pretzels because when you see them you no a man must of brought them in. That comment is what struck to me to think I just had my Eureka moment. Everyone loved my cake I made and still some doubted I had made it. I don’t understand why can’t a 21-year-old guy make a cake? It’s not that hard!!! This perception seems to still linger today and more men cook and bake then people realize. It’s not just a womens job and it’s something guys are stereotyped all the time as not being able to cook or bake! Well I think this is a issue that needs to be changed!

1 comment:

  1. Chris,

    Great post (again) and let me just say it has been a pleasure reading your posts and watching you grow in this process.

    Now for the cake. There was a "dirty little secret" in my house when I was growing up - I loved baking. At the age of 12 I was making cakes and desserts from scratch and my mother used to be so proud. However, I made everyone promise not to tell anyone I liked baking because of the stigma back in the 70's associated with men doing traditionally female things (I know I hate even saying this anymore - but that's the way it was). Well, word got out and I was teased unmercifully for weeks and to this day I have never baked again. Wow, until tonight I had no idea what effect this had on me, just one of those suppressed memories I guess. Guess who is going to be baking this weekend...

    ReplyDelete