Friday, June 26, 2009

Ashley Eureka Moment

I work on a staff of 8 men and 8 women. For the most part we all work really well together. I just don't think we all do an equal amount of work. With the exception of a few, it's always the males doing the manual labor like moving furniture or lifting heavy boxes and the females are usually doing office work at the computer or at the desk. It kind of bothers me that we don't switch roles. I feel that it is expected for the men to do the manual labor and for the women to sit at the desk. I try my best to do both, I just wish everyone else on the staff would. I think that if we switched roles or we did half and half we would all learn something. We learn new things everyday, and by working together and doing new things, we are gaurenteed to learn new things.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley,

    In most organizations, there exists some type of cross-training among the employees. I absolutely love your idea of not only switching job roles, but including a switch of our gendered roles at work. I have taken a few courses during my undergraduate studies that I selected specifically thinking they would help me at work, for example "Conflict and Conflict Resolution". However, this course ended actually teaching me the most, personally and professionally. I start my MBA at Rider in Septemeber and I just checked the courses I will be taking, and not a gender studies course anywhere - and there needs to be! I am going to see if I can do something about that.

    ReplyDelete